Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Oregon Road Trip

The falls at Klamath Falls (some of them)

This road trip was supposed to include a lot of hiking and camping. I only camped one night and only had one substantial hike, but the trip paid off as I learned about the area of Oregon between Bend and Klamath Falls. I used both a time share and a campground and I learned enough about hiking in the area to plan to return next spring, I think.

The trip took me to Olympia, Portland, Bend, Klamath Falls, Lava Beds National Park, Lake of the Woods, Talent, Crater Lake, and back to Portland. Enroute I visited with my college roommate, Paul Swensson, in Olympia and stayed the first night with Melanie Wood, a friend who lives in Portland. I also stayed with Donna Boehm and her friend, Dave, in Talent, OR.

The only significant climb occurred at Crater Lake, with about 20 pounds on my back and only a 400-foot elevation gain. I found myself stopping to breathe. I need to hike more.

The first full day I was there, Monday, July 29, Donna and David, came to visit. We drove to the Lava beds, located in Northern California. We walked in a lava tube and visited native rock art.

Our first stop took us past a flattened lava tube as we headed to see small "chimneys."

Despite the hot, arid landscape, this desiccated tree supported moss.

The park reportedly had hundreds of caves, including a lava tube large enough to stand upright in.

A strong flashlight provided the only illumination for Donna's silhouette.

Afterward we visited a cliff whose basaltic exterior showed  where air pockets cooked in the lava.

Indian rock carvings distinguished the base of the cliff.


Bird nests on the cliff wall

Hiking statistics for the trip:
Distance: 4 miles
Conditions: Clear, sunny
Load: 17 pounds
Elevation gain: 400 feet at 7,000 feet elevation

Statistics, year to date:
Distance: 208 miles 
Elevation Gain: 63,928 feet
Next Goal: 70,000 feet, my Fifth Rainier. 6,072 feet to go.




On Tuesday I drove past Mount Shasta, above, to hike to McCloud Falls, below.


On Wednesday I drove past Klamath Lake, which is heavily polluted, to the point where I believe the actual Klamath Falls had been more spectacular before a small dam was installed. Still, the river flowed furiously, but not enough to intimidate a pelican that calmly watched the swirling water from the safety of a small rock in the river (below). I also spied a river otter bounding across a pathway, far too fast to photograph.



Thursday, Aug. 1, was my last day at the time share. I set out for Talent to visit Donna and Dave, stopping enroute to check out Lake of the Woods, with its view of Mount McLoughlin, below.


There were lots of dragonflies. This one was at a duck pond in Ashland's theater district.

On Friday I set out for crater lake, camping in a national forest the first night. Then I hiked the 3.6 miles and 400-foot elevation gain to Watchman Peak, a fire lookout above the lake, before heading on to Portland to stay the night with my friend, Melanie Wood.

The lake was stunningly blue this day; there was virtually no haze, despite fires in the region.

Rough rock formations at one viewpoint above the lake.

The trail to Watchman Peak, where the fire station can be made out.

The fire lookout station

I exited the North Entrance to Crater Lake National Park enroute to Portland. By happenstance, I pulled over right at the entrance to the trailhead leading to Fall Creek Falls. A better time to visit is in the late spring, when the canyon leading from the falls is a rushing torrent.








No comments:

Post a Comment