Thursday, June 6, 2019

The stalking marmots of Mount Rainier

Roger Matthews pauses to consider the path to take.

This was the week we were going to climb Adams, but the weather was due to be cold and windy, so we postponed that trip in favor of a shakedown hike on Mount Rainier in the direction of Camp Muir. We didn't get very far, but we did learn some things about our equipment. And we also learned about the marmots. Here was one we spotted from a perch where he hoisted our tent for the night:

On of several marmots that came out when the hikers appeared. It ran for a rocky outcrop.

The critter raced across the snow . . .

. . . and closed in to stalk a line of hikers for whatever morsels they might share.



Roger plotted the location for our tent on a little knoll which we reached by kick-steping up a steep snow-covered incline. It was situated just far enough from a bank that that slid to a drop-off near the Nisqually glacier. As long as we didn't stumble too far in the direction in the dark, we would be OK. The two photos that immediately follow show how our tent appeared in the morning when I took a stroll in the morning. Roger didn't sleep well, so he snoozed while I climbed up a hill facing us and then circled back on the uphill side of our camp.


Looking south, there was a line of peaks in the distance . . .

And peeking over the peaks was our original destination, Mount Adams:

Also in view was Mount St. Helens, but it was low and dark and not suitable for a photo.

My early morning walkabout gave me an opportunity capture photos of others heading toward the mountain or returning.

I had the opportunity to photograph this individual glissading. . . 

. . . and of this individual enjoying his own "Kodak moment" with a selfie.

Me and my balaclava.

And I was able to get in a selfie of myself, using my GoPro camera. I covered my head with a balaclava,exposing only my nose, in order to avoid suburn and avoid smearing cream all over my face. That was one test I conducted -- how well can I free myself from sweat bands. The answer was, a lot.
We also practiced ice-axe arrests and glissading. And we learned that my MRS Windburner stove could melt all the snow we wanted with less than two canisters of gas fuel. The water went through Roger's filter system, which captures everything but viruses. The MRS Windburner system I was using could boil two cups of melted water in less than a minute. It is important to not lock the Windburner's cannister to the burn unit, which you want to leave in position when you lift the cup to pour.

Other things we learned in no particular order:

  • My pack could hold virtually everything I needed, and I could create more room by putting my sleeping pad on the outside.
  • I could roll up my snow coat and carry it on the back of my pack with twist rods.
  • It doesn't get dark until after 8:30. In the morning the day warms up fast.
  • The Milky Way is still there, and the stars can be spectacular.
  • I should take a garbage bag to store things outside the tent at night, for greater in-tent comfort. 
  • When the air is still, getting outside the tent isn't so chilling.
  • Four hand warmers for each day are all you need.
  • You can over-duplicate. As much as possible, go for simple.
  • A double dehydrated meal sticks to your ribs.
  • The dehydrated meal bags seal and hold small trash items.
  • Don't count on a cell phone for communication. And don't expect to use its apps if your hands are cold.
  • Make my ski pants more accessible when storing them in my backpack; and have a separate belt for the ski pants.
  • The tingling in my fingers was likely caused by Diamox, the altitude sickness preventative that I took.
  • When I glissade, my arms block the GoPro's vision. I have ordered a head mount for $8.80 from Amazon.

Statistics for the day:
Distance: Unknown
Conditions: Comfortable during day; near freezing at night; clear sky
Load: 32 pounds 
Elevation gain: Unknown

Statistics, year to date unchanged:
Distance: 165.1 miles 
Elevation Gain: 51,470 feet 
Next Goal: 57,644 feet (fourth Rainier)

No comments:

Post a Comment